At 27 I feel beautiful most days. Some days more than others. Some days my hair frizzes and my makeup settles in what I can only imagine are the wrinkles of my future. Some days my clothes don't fit right or look right or feel right. Sometimes I bum around in jeans and a t-shirt, no makeup on my face. I glance in the mirror and wonder if it truly is me in the reflection. But, even on days when I'm not trying and you can tell (women who don't try and look gorgeous... I JUST DON'T GET HOW YOU DO IT) I still think I'm beautiful. I still love my green eyes and long arms, I love my hips and my lips, my skin tone and of course all those things about me that are deeper than my skin.
I think back to days of feeling fat in my size 3 jeans. I think back to hating my natural brows and then years of sporting the thinnest eyebrows ever. I think about the jeans that barely zipped. I think about all the times the pants didn't zip or the pants had to be safety pinned to stay up. I think about the first few attempts at red lipstick and then they years of only red lipstick. I think about the years of feeling fat and years of being teased for being too thin. I think back to a million little things that made me feel less beautiful and I say screw that. I am sad for my younger self and her lack of confidence, but more than that I am glad I got over it. I am glad I don't need someone to tell me I'm pretty to believe it. Now I am thankful that people tell me I'm pretty, tell me I'm lovely, tell me I'm gorgeous. However, I tell myself I'm all of those things and that is perfect and lovely.
One day I hope my future children (as well as my niece and faux nieces) are spared feeling unpretty (TLC- just saying). I hope they skip to self acceptance and enjoy the knowledge that they are beautiful. I also hope all my sistas out there (you know who you are) have transitioned out of the "I'm not pretty" phase and are basking in the glow that is your own beauty.
xoxo
Trish the beautiful Dish
No comments:
Post a Comment