I have read so much these last few months. I am a creature of business. I like to be busy. I crave it. However, the business helps me enjoy the stillness. So as a means of staying engaged and interested, I read. I do other things talk, create art, slum with the besties, go out, study, exercise and all of those other things that make a life. However, I delve into a book or three and I just drink it up. I love cheesy fiction, novels, YA books, and all kinds of nonfiction. I love books about personal experiences, biographies, how to books, recipes, teaching, random facts, and self help books. I read for pleasure and out of curiosity. So in old school fashion, I present you with a list
I Read These Books
The Girls Who Went Away- Ann Fessler
This book is an interesting, heartbreaking collection of the stories of women who were forced into relinquishing their parental rights in the 1950s-1970s. I have always been interested in individual's stories. History in general has never interested me, however if you can make it a personal account of something, if it is the story of someone and not something odds are I'll be interested. So although I have no personal connection to adoption I have always had an interest in adoption and adoption stories. This was a very interesting look at the lives and feelings of these women who were sent away to give up their babies.
The Atlas of Love- Laurie Frankel
An interesting concept. I felt eh about the follow through. A group of women rally around a friend who falls pregnant in college. They decide to raise this child in a community type environment, alternating responsibilities.
The Colony- John Tayman
A pretty interesting read about the leprosy colony in Molokai. It is sad and I loved the facts mixed with the personal accounts. Worth a read.
Perfect Fifths- Megan McCafferty
I LOVED her first book Sloppy Firsts. Each subsequent book let me down a little bit. This final book in the series was no exception. It had these weird chapters of creepy poetry that made little sense. However, if you went through the previous four books wondering, "What happens to Jessica and Marcus?" do yourself a favor and read this book. We all deserve the closure.
In the Bag- Kate Klise
A cute chick lit style book about a man and his son and a woman and her daughter and some lost luggage. It is a fun read, I read it in a few hours one lazy afternoon.
The Panic Years- Doree Lewak
This is a book about being post 25 and single. I read it in an hour or so and wasn't impressed. I related to a tiny bit of it (who doesn't look at happily in love people and feel a twinge of jealousy) but overall I am not as panicked as these women. The thing about the book that caused me to pick it up was somewhere on the cover it said something about "the wrong side of 25." I have been saying that I am on the wrong side of 25 in a joking manner ever since I turned 25.
I'm Reading These Books
The Thin Pink Line- Lauren Baratz-Logsted
This is supposed to be a fun chick lit book, however to be honest it is creeping me out. It's about a British gal who is faking a pregnancy. The attempt at comedy is lost on me apparently. I've read a few chapters and I want to just skip to the end to see how this whole thing pans out.
The River Wife- Jonis Agee
This is a novel about the women in a family. It is set in 1930s, however it is told in part through journal entries dating back to 1811. So far I love it. It is interesting and there are moments your heart is breaking and moments you are smiling.
51/50- Kristen McGuiness
True story. A woman recovering from addiction seeks love and decides to go on 51 dates in 50 weeks, or is it 50 dates in 51 weeks? I can't recall. I have only read a few date entries so far and it is pretty interesting. Her addiction heavily influences her life and the way she views men. I don't know if it is relatable, however it is interesting to see inside her head and her dating experiences.
So there you have it. A brief look at what I have been reading. It probably gives insight into a lot of the conversations I have been having and maybe into my personality. If you have any insight or recommendations feel free to send them my way. I have quite a stack of to read books, but I always have room for the next great read. I also will try and share and good reads or sucky reads for your enjoyment.
xo
Trish "the bookish" Dish
No comments:
Post a Comment